sacred valley mountains panorama

Creating Panoramas in Photoshop CS6: Mountains of Peru’s Sacred Valley

Posted by on July 12th, 2012

Yesterday I shot a panorama of two of the glaciers in the Sacred Valley of the Incas outside of Cusco. I would normally import these into Hugin to stich them together but I’m currently testing out Adobe’s new Creative Cloud service and Photoshop CS6.

If you’re interested in panoramas, you might also enjoy my 158 megapixel view of Seattle’s skyline.

I’ve already talked about how much I love creating HDR photos in Photoshop CS6 and I think I now love stitching panoramas almost as much. For one thing, it is super simple.

Once Photoshop is open, click File > Automate > Photomerge. This will open a new window.

This window is where you select your files, choose the style of stitching, and check different option boxes. Once you have your settings straight, click “OK” and watch the magic happen.

From here you can crop your image down and make other adjustments. Personally I am more comfortable with Lightroom so I chose to export my file back there to add a darker gradient in the sky and some vignetting. You can check out my final result below.

The largest mountain in the panorama is Nevado Chicon. Click the photo to enlarge or click here to open it in a new window.

This panorama was created by merging six vertical photos shot on my Canon 40D at 70mm, 1/100 @ f/9.0, ISO 400. I didn’t have time to set up a tripod so I shot hand-held with image stabilization on. All the photos were color corrected in Lightroom 4 before being merged in Photoshop CS6.

24 thoughts on “Creating Panoramas in Photoshop CS6: Mountains of Peru’s Sacred Valley

1. Steve Brookshire

I tried the same thing on one of my pictures using the only software I have called Microsoft Word. It did not turn out that well. Any suggestions?

2. sal

I love Photomerge. What’s cool also is that it doesn’t have to be horizontal/vertical pan. It can be a collage which ends up in whatever shape it ends up in — if that makes sense. 😛

1. Isaiah Brookshire Post author

Yeah totally, I’m really impressed by Photomerge’s ability to create seamless results.

3. Kursat Pekun

I have used this method on cs5 but now I upgraded to cs6 64 bit now all my attempts are coming up in vertical allignment? any suggestions please?

1. Isaiah Brookshire

Hmm, that’s interesting. This might sound like a stupid suggestion but can you create the panorama while it is in vertical alignment and then flip it horizontal in Photoshop? Another solution might be to rotate your images to the correct alignment before you import them into the panorama. It’s hard to guess what might be wrong without seeing your process. I hope that helps. Anybody else have a better solution?

1. kursat pekun

When photoshop starts the batch file the images are horizontel when it is finished the photo’s are stacked one on top of the other in their original state(horizontal) I am baffled?

4. Isaiah Brookshire

I’ll have to admit that I’m a baffled too. My only thought is that you have some preset turned on that has flipped the layout from horizontal to vertical. If you can’t find a setting to change, maybe you can use the reposition layout to change the orientation manually. Other than that, I’m stumped.

1. Kursat Pekun

I am leaning towards the preset idea as well but I have used my friends CS5 for the same project and another friend again with CS6, which gave me the same result. I have tried to turn the photo’s portrait (in their own folder first) then use the automate-panorama, this time it has put them side by side but there is a gap between them. Did not joined them seamlessly.
      I am going to try again the same number of shots (13) in NEFF format but this time instead of dusk I will try during the day. I wonder if the lighting conditions have something to do with it?

5. Isaiah Brookshire

Now that you mention the gaps between the photos in portrait I wonder if there isn’t enough overlap between them. The photos in my panorama overlapped into each other by at least 1/4 of the frame.

1. Kursat Pekun

You may be right, I thought I have enough overlap between but the frames are dark and I cannot be sure it is exactly %25 overlap between pictures or indeed it may be too many photo’s to do in one attempt. I am shooting the same scene again tomorrow dusk but this time I make sure to leave enough overlap and let you know. Thank you for your kind assistance in this matter, much appreciated.

1. Kursat Pekun

I would love to have your opinion, if you provide me with an e-mail, I will forward the three I was working on. or I can use [info@isaiahbrookshire.com] ?

1. Kursat Pekun

on its way. I would love to hear your input on them. I am sending the smaller version for the obvious reason

6. Jess

HI I have an problem attaching all 3 pictures together its get 2 done but not the 3rd and i did over lap them when i shot them. Is there a way to manually attached the 3rd photo?

1. Isaiah Brookshire Post author

Maybe you could save the two photos as a one file and then go through the process again and re-stitch that first panorama to the third photo.

7. filippo

Hi,
    I tried it and it worked out, but there are some parts of the image where the exposure is not the same.
    How can i fix them?

Filippo

1. Isaiah Brookshire Post author

Hi Filippo,

Fixing exposure in post is tricky. You might try using dodging or burning tools to even it out. The better solution is to shoot your panoramas in manual mode to make sure each shot is the same as the others. You’ll also want to use a tool like Lightroom to remove the vignetting that can create darker seams in you photos. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Isaiah

8. Ty

Thank you so much for the insight on how to do this. I looked at quite a few tutorials and they were very drawn out. Thanks again!